Do to others as you would have them do to you. — Luke 6:31
The Augustana Social Ministry is resuming virtual meetings on the last Monday of the month. Our next meeting is Monday, August 24 at 7:30 p.m.
We will be planning for the March on Washington and “God’s Work. Our Hands.” Sunday. We will also discuss what issues the group would like to focus on. Please join us!
Thanks! Denise, Cal, Jerry & Ben
Augustana has a very active commitment to social ministry, devoting time and financial resources to serving, advocating, and raising awareness so that the church can fulfill its mission of being Christ’s hands and feet in the world.
Augustana Food Pantry
- Collect food on the last Sunday of the month
- Support Augustana and Santa Maria families, and hungry neighbors
Martha’s Table, McKenna’s Wagon
- 12 monthly trips to deliver meals to the DC homeless
- Over 20 members participating
SOME (So Others May Eat) Thanksgiving Trot for Hunger 5k
- Over four years, the Augustana “Augies” have raised over $11,000 for SOME
- Augustana was the #3 team fundraiser in the 2017 event.
Letter Writing Campaigns for Bread for the World and Amnesty International
- Augustanans write letters to members of Congress about hunger issues, and “write for rights”
God’s Work, Our Hands Pie Contest Fundraiser for the Lutheran Church in El Salvador
- Augustanans enjoyed delicious pie on “God’s Work. Our Hands.” Sunday and raised funds to support the migrant ministry of our companion church in El Salvador
Marching for Justice
- Augustanans participate in various marches to advocate for justice and peace – for women, immigrants, people of color, LGBTQ pride, and for an end to gun violence
Learning about our Neighbors
- Augustana has hosted Immigration Detention Visitation trainings, Interfaith Understanding classes, and read books together on social justice issues
Food pantry at Augustana
I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me. — Matthew 25:35Augustana currently collects and prepares food bags for distribution to the needy on the last Sunday of every month. As the neighborhood becomes more affluent, hunger has not disappeared. The Augustana Food Pantry is grateful for your donations of non-perishable food items.
Please provide only items fresh enough to serve in your own home.
Food donations are welcome any time, not just on the last Sunday.
Your thoughtfulness and generosity are deeply appreciated.
Here are items that are helpful for the Food Pantry:
- milk – evaporated/Similac
- beans (green, navy, pinto, black)
- peas (sweet)
- mixed vegetables
- baked beans
- pasta (dry)
- macaroni & cheese
- baked goods (boxed/mixes)
- stuffing( bag)
- cereal, breakfast (box)
- spaghetti & meatballs
- potatoes, mashed (dry)
- peanut butter
- pasta sauce
- olive oil/cooking oil
- bread crumbs
- fish & meat (canned)
- tuna, salmon, Spam
- hygiene products
- toothpaste, toothbrush
In general, contributions of non-perishable food items are needed. Food items that are individually packaged and can be opened and eaten without can openers are especially helpful. Also helpful are gift cards from local grocery stores, such as Giant, Stop and Shop and Target.