Director of Children and Family Ministry
Augustana Lutheran Church is committed to vibrant worship with historic Christian liturgy; welcoming all who come by embracing diversity; caring for one another; reaching out to the community; and demonstrating a strong commitment to the V & New Hampshire neighborhood. Racially integrated since 1954, Augustana is an intercultural congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. Reconciling in Christ, we welcome people of all sexual orientations and gender identities. We worship in English and in Spanish on Sundays.
To support our mission goals, and to meet the needs of a growing population of young families within our congregation and in the surrounding community, Augustana Lutheran Church is seeking a part time Director of Children and Family Ministry for planning, development, and oversight of ministries to children and families.
- Support existing Children ministry programming at Augustana Lutheran Church including Sunday programming and family ministry events.
- Evaluate existing programming and propose new ministry opportunities.
- Develop and lead Sunday school programming and provide additional curriculum to families to reinforce programming throughout the week.
- Plan and vet curriculum used in children’s ministries to ensure quality, Gospel-centered instruction in the Bible toward application in life, age appropriate depth, and theological soundness
- Identify, recruit, train, and schedule volunteers for the various children’s ministries. Specifically conduct volunteer orientation and child protection training.
- Plan, coordinate, and promote all special children’s events throughout the church year, including family Christmas worship and other church holidays, as well as special events for outreach to the church in the context of Children’s Ministry.
- Serve as the liaison to the Synod and area ELCA churches informing the congregation of opportunities for teens to participate in organized events outside of Augustana.
- Insightfully partner with parents, as a resource for them to grow their families in Christ.
Role in the Organization
- Supervised by the Pastor of Augustana Lutheran Church and accountable to the Church Council through its Personnel and Christian Education Committees.
- Coordinates with Augustana ministry leaders through the Christian Education Committee.
- Supports and coordinates with the Sunday Nursery Attendant.
- Recruits, trains, and supervises volunteers in Children’s Ministry
- Interacts with Augustana’s diverse congregation, newcomers, and visitors, with a particular emphasis on families with children.
Applicants Should Demonstrate
- A desire to work in a multicultural, intergenerational, diverse environment. Willingness to welcome diverse families is essential at Augustana.
- A lively Christian faith with experience and proven ability to share faith and engage with varying age groups from early preschool ages to teenagers.
- Experience leading or assisting with faith formation programming for children/youth/families.
- Ability to work cooperatively and independently in the completion of goals agreed upon with the Pastor and Christian Education Committee.
- A passion for working with youth, and the skills needed to effectively work with children and youth across a range of income and education levels.
- Well-developed organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to engage children creatively in faith formation through arts, crafts, movement, music and bible study.
- Certification in Christian education programming and Spanish language skills are desired but not required.
Augustana Lutheran Church’s Director of Children and Family Ministry is a 15-20 hour a week part time position divided between 8 hours on Sunday and 8 hours of planning during the week. Compensation for this position is $20 per hour.
Please send your resume and two references to the Augustana Lutheran Church office at firstname.lastname@example.org. A cover letter should include paragraph or two addressing your personal vision for youth ministry. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of background check and commitment to completion of safe boundaries training.